Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wait-Hold on a Minute!

Well, looks like Baby Simon wants to come early.

On Wednesday evening Darrin and I were watching a movie. I started noticing contraction after contraction and decided I'd better start counting. 18 in an hour and a half. Called labor and delivery to see if they had any suggestions. They said to drink lots of water and rest for half hour-if I was still contracting to come in. 11pm Tuesday, driving up to St. Marks. No CLUE where to go for labor and delivery :) (good drill). They checked me in and hooked me up to all kinds of fun monitors. Said it was a good thing I came in-sure enough lots of good strong contractions. Dialated to a 1 and 60% effaced. So, called the doctor and the doctor said (no more monkey's jumping on the bed! JK) to give me a drug to stop the contractions. I had a horrible reaction to it-heart-rate of 136, room spinning, sweating, blackouts etc. FUN! So, doc said obviously no more of that. So, they then gave me morphine which helped slow them down a bit and sent me home at 3am. Said to call my doc the next day if I was still having contractions.

Woke up on Wednesday. 10 contractions in an hour. Guess I'd better call my doc. He said he wanted to see me in his office. We go to his office. Checked my cervix (sorry if this is too much info for some) I was at a 1 1/2 and 80% effaced. So, he sent me back to labor and delivery for preterm labor to try a different drug to stop these contractions and wanted me to get a steroid shot to develop baby's lungs. The drug didn't work. So, next step was a 24 hour treatment of Magnesium Sulfate through IV. Side effects included: hot flashes (have you ever felt like your body was on FIRE?!), tired, weak, headache, nausea. Fun, right! Actually though, for me, the worst part was the catheter. HORRIBLE!!! So, after having that in for about 4 hours they took it out and let me have a potty by my bed (thank you!). With the morphine they gave me I slept alright through the night. This morning was the headache and nausea from the Magnesium. My contractions were still going but less frequent. YAY! We want this little boy to hold on longer!!

So, I'm now home on strict bedrest for the next 3 weeks. They also sent me home with a prescription to be taken every 6 hours to slow contractions. To be honest, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this. No work, no cleaning, no cooking etc. Laying or sitting with feet up 24-7. Ahhh-pretty sure I'm going to go crazy! But, I'm SO thankful that the magnesium treatment helped and that I'm now able to be home. I know that prayers of many have helped Darrin and I through this SHOCKING time.

Seriously, we never expected anything like this to happen! How grateful we are to both of our WONDERFUL families and amazing friends who have been there for us! I think we're both still in literal shock. But I know that Heavenly Father can and will help us through this experience. How thankful I am to have a knowledge of the gospel! How thankful I am for the immense blessings that we've seen these past few days.

Any great movie or tv-series suggestions would be greatly appreciated :).

P.S. I still get to go to my baby shower! Doc gave me permission as long as I'm sitting with feet up or laying. I will SO be ready to get out of the house!! Yay!

Note to pictures: These were taken BEFORE magnesium treatment :)

11 comments:

vrbphotography said...

Wow that's so crazy!! Hope everything goes according to plan. Try not to go too crazy sitting at home all day. Maybe we can do maternity pictures of you laying on the couch? :)

Unknown said...

Trish that is so scary! I am glad that things are better now. Let me know if there is anything that I can do. I won't be able to make it to your shower cause I am going out of town this weekend for my anniversary but I hope you have fun. Love ya!

Christine Frandsen said...

TV Show Suggestions: Pysch, The Office, Seinfield.

I hope your baby holds his horses a bit longer!

Rose said...

Hey Trisha,
I am glad to know that for now he is staying in... Let me know if you get bored and want company.. I know what it is like to be stuck at home all day but atleast i am able to be up now... I have the seasons of ER if you want to borrow them..

Nikki said...

Ah that is awful! I'm glad everything is ok! I was dialated to 1 1/2 and 70% effaced at 32 weeks its so scary! Good luck with the bed rest! I had to do it for about a week but I still got to work cause I sit at work. And it is so hard! If you need something good to watch Bones is an awesome show! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

ACK! Hang in there! Sending hugs and prayers and all that jazz. Stay put, baby!

The Paytons said...

Oh Trisha no fun! I'm glad to hear your back at home! Ari and I are planning on coming to your shower so we'll see ya then!

Patricia Potts said...

Since I was there during most of this I can truly say you were a brave little soul. I'm so grateful you are doing better. You've got to be there for the MOTHERS DAY EVENT this weekend too! Love, mom

Amanda said...

you HAVE to watch Chuck, and Bones! and Glee and Monk oh and Scrubs

Kat said...

Project Runway could keep me occupied if I had to be on bedrest, and there's always the classic 6 hour BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. I am glad that everything has worked out. Goodluck!

Kelly Jean said...

Oh Trish! Bummer, that's a drag :( And I'm sorry - I wish I could've made it to your baby shower!! (Glad YOU were able to make it, though!) Gosh, anything I can do??

My favorite TV shows are Lost, Modern Family, and Friends... Hulu & Yidio should have 'em! Hope this time passes by quickly for ya!