Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A week has gone by

When I was at the hospital they recommended I get the whooping cough/tetnis shot. I got it right after I had Spencer and thought it was good for 10 years but the nurse said that they recommend it for every new mother that they get another one after a new baby. So I said yes. Friday night and all day Saturday I was feeling so awful from it. My arm they gave me the shot in was so sore, my body ached all over, I felt chills and felt like I was coming with something nasty. Maybe I had a worse reaction that most, but for them to give that to me with a one day old baby seems not fair.

Friday night (first night home with Caden) was really rough. Every single time I put him down he'd cry. He would not sleep and did not fall asleep until 3am. For reals-I couldn't believe it-aren't newborns supposed to sleep a lot? Why wasn't he sleeping? I think it was a combination of nights/days mixed up, wanting to feel safe and secure while being held and gas. After he finally got to sleep he was waking up every hour or so and I'd feed him because he was only eating for about 3 minutes before he was un-wakeable. Then the older boys woke up at 7 like normal and it was tough to help them out while being so sore and tired.

Saturday was a rough day. I will admit I had a breakdown. It seemed like Parker and Spencer were completely ganging up on Darrin and I and to everything we asked them to do or not do they'd say, "no!". Spencer had some accidents and my milk was coming in. I was feeling so down and doubtful if I could do this Mom of 3 thing.

Sunday was the most painful day with my milk coming in. I was so engorged and it was definately a no-hug zone kind of day. OUCH!!

Ever since Sunday has been wonderful though. I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of things a little better and life is good. I forget how much I LOVE having a newborn! He just smells so good, is so soft, and oh so cuddly! He doesn't talk back and is so forgiving. I love watching his smiles and expressions in his sleep, seeing his eyes open, and watching him streeeeetch :). I feel SO blessed to be a new Mommy all over again.

Another huge blessing is that Darrin has been able to work from home since Caden was born and will continue working remotely from home until next week! I have absolutely loved having him around and feel like we've really been able to take some time and bond with our new situation TOGETHER. He's such an amazing father and husband and I adore watching him interact with Caden and the other two boys. It's been so nice to be able to sleep in every once in while and take naps with Darrin around. Sleep is much appreciated here :).

We have been spoiled rotten with meals coming in, phone calls, and visits. Our ward has just been so generous. Today was our last meal that was brought. Seriously?! Who has gotten that many meals when they have a baby?! All in all we will have received 10 meals (Some of them to freeze)!!! The compassionate service leader called me after we received two meals already and said she just kept getting calls of people requesting to bring us food! It has been SO SO nice to spend the extra time spending quality time with my family rather than worrying about what to make for dinner and spending the time making it. Wow-we just feel so loved!

The boys love their baby brother SO much! They both get SO excited when his eyes open and want to hold him all the time Spencer talks about Caden constantly and says how cute he is, how he's out of my tummy now, tickles him and gives him sweet kisses. Parker is all about telling Caden about everything and anything he's doing. He wants Caden to watch him play basketball, watch him eat his dinner, watch him/listen to him read etc.

As far as how Caden is doing, he's doing really well. Sleeps A LOT. Our biggest challenge is trying to get him to eat a full "meal" since he just falls asleep. It takes a lot of effort and time on my part to tickle, change his diaper, take off clothes, stroke his face etc etc to get him awake enough and a lot of times I fail. But nights are getting better and he's just so much fun to have around!

Here's my attempt at doing my own newborn pictures. One week old!:

3 comments:

Tiff Meister said...

I can't wait to meet our sweet Caden! What a darling! Great job on the newborn pictures Trisha. Love you all!

annie andersen said...

Your first few days sound like my first few days home with Hayden and Halli. ROUGH!! I still sometimes have bad days but mostly good now =) Those newborns look awesome! Can't believe you took those yourself! Do you have a nice camera? Tyler got the whooping cough shot in the hospital as well and he felt like he was coming down with something too!

Kat said...

I am so sorry that the weekend was rough. But, wow, your ward sounds awesome! Take care!