Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Product Diversion




I know the title sounds boring, but I find it really interesting-I hope you do too :) As you know, I am a hair stylist, and I get questions a lot about the hair product that is sold in Target, Walmart, and grocery stores. People ask if the product in these stores is just as good, if it's cheaper, etc. I answer with these same answers, but I just ran across an article today that puts it alot better than I can.




Q: Why shouldn't I buy my products at Target etc.?




A: Products sold anywhere other than a salon or beauty supply have been obtained through the gray market. They may be old, cantaminated, watered down, or a different product than what the bottle says. Manufacturers can only garantee the performance of their products when purchased through an salon or beauty supply. They state this on the back of most professional products "Sold ONLY in professional salons".




Q: They look like th esame products I get in your salon. Wouldn't they be cheaper at the drugstore?




A: No, price check sshow these products to be at least 10 percent higher. Because they have been obtained on the gray market adn not from the manufacturer. Unauthorized suppliers have to make their margin. And diverted products go through more middlemen, each getting a cut.




Q: Why not make haircare products available at retail and drug stores?




A: Professional salon products have been developed hand-in-hand with professional stylists. Your hairdresser can make educated product recommendations for your hair type and hair needs and can show you how to properly use them.




So, there are the answers. If you still feel comfortable about buying the products from Target etc, then I'm not going to stop you. I just thought you might find it interesting :)

No comments: